|O diba, ayaw sa School paper dahil – sa Local Cebu magazine pala ang aking premier! Ha ha ha! 🙂
From that day on, when I saw my name on that magazine (of course I purchased one…) I never stopped dreaming.
I also had another printed short 5-8 liner quote in Cebu’s tabloid – Super Balita “Reader’s corner” where I won a grocery package for Christmas and eventually started my blog as my platform for all the thoughts on my head by writing.
Flashback 2012, with God’s grace – I end up with the community’s magazine – The Vineyard Magazine / TVM! See how God works in His ways? . . .
Anyhow enough about me, here is what this post is all about.
What is an article?
· It is a piece of writing usually intended for publication such as magazine, journal and newspaper. It is written for the wide audience that may include stories, events, reports, announcements and other information.
· An article can describe an experience, present an opinion, compare and contrast, offer advices and suggestions.
· It can be formal or informal (for The Vineyard, we accept it all J – allowing everyone to share their time and talent. Our goal is to inspire people, therefore I encourage that writers write their personal reflection and realization of the activities or event they are writing. Adding a quote or a bible passage suits best.
The Basic Format
Like in our English writing classes, an article has 3 basic parts: The introduction, main body & conclusion.
- Introduction – this part clearly defines the topic to be covered and keep the reader’s attention.
- Main Body– describe the events or stories with details for 3-5 paragraphs.
- Conclusion– closing and summarizing the whole topic. It could be personal comment/final opinion or a recommendation through quotes ( bible verses is applicable for The Vineyard)
PLUS!!! An eye-catching TITLE!
Do you notice what you (as a reader) is attracted to when it comes to newspapers? It’s the intriguing titles and sub-heading titles. (Think of what articles – have you read lately and what made you read it?) – This one is a key to get your reader’s attention.
It may also answer the 5 Ws + H (if applicable) What, When, Where, Who and Why/How.
Remember as well to consider where the article your writing is for – a newspaper? A magazine or journal? , who are the readers and what is the aim of your article, does it follow to the goal of the newspaper/magazine you are writing for?
These are just the basics and google could offer you more ways and tips to make your article better.
As a closing to this post, let me inspire you with this:
Happy writing everyone!