10 Basic Things to know about ABU DHABI
It has been 7 years and a couple of months since I first stepped on this beautiful city of Abu Dhabi! When I travel to a certain place, I often research the basic stuffs… I have tried to search on the net but it’s either too small or too long. On this blog I am making 10! Ten of the basic information every first timer should know about AUH-Abu Dhabi.
· Duration: 8 Hours ++ (especially if you have stop overs) – from Philippines
· Cost – More or less 2500 – 4000 AED depending on the season (2 way) – its around 30-40K Php)
There are various of airplanes that offers flights to Abu Dhabi… during my first time – i flew with Qatar Airway… Actually Abu Dhabi has the flag carrier – Etihad Airways… while Dubai has Emirates Airlines…
2. Capital – Abu Dhabi is the Capital of UAE.
The Other cities : Dubai – the most popular among all 7 emirates, Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), Um Al Quwain (UAQ), Ajman andFujairah.
3. Dirhams – Abu Dhabi or UAE in general, uses Dirhams (Money currency).
· Conversion – 1 dirham is usually between 11-11.50 Php – sometimes in the year it reaches 12 Php too. But to make the calculations easy – I usually use 1 AED = 10 Php.
· Salary – new comers can at least expect 2000 – 2500 as a first salary (this depends on the type of job though) – some are blessed to get higher based on the qualification and the companies Salary scheme
4. Weather – Summer/Winter
· Ramadan – summer – the heat can go up to 50 degrees Celsius
· Christmas – 18 degree probably… though some Emirates are noted to experience some hail storms.
Although they also use spring or fall in between Summer & Winter seasons…
5. Downtown Streets & Sites to See
Hamdan, Elektra, Salam, Najdah – these are the downtown streets that I am very much familiar with because in these aread, you see shops, malls, restaturants and more!
Al Mariah Island, Ferrari World, Beaches, Malls, Yas Waterworld, Emirates Palace, Heritage Park, the newly opened The Eye, and more.
6. Corniche & Parks
The most popular park is called Corniche, but many parks sourrounds the city – you would notice various green areas because the government has done a good job when it comes to park wherein always full-packed on Fridays for families gathering. Picnic, barbeque or if the weather is friendly – you would see beach buddies too!
7. Religion & Leaders
As known by everyone – UAE with the 7 Emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), Um Al Quwain and Fujairah) is a Muslim country. Islam is widely practiced by the locals & other Arabs. But! Christianity is open. You will be able to find Catholic churches around the place and other denomination of Christians. Hindu and other eastern religions are present too!
H.E. Sheikh Zayed Al Nahyan has allowed the openness of this city to the other faithful that made this country blessed.
If basketball is the hype at home, here – soccer is the BIG one! UAE’s Soccer team is the no. 1 in the gulf. Our very own team AZKALS did have a friendly match with these fellas just this year and although the Emiratis won, the Philippine crowd won – as we made the stadium
9. Races & the Locals
UAE as a whole has so many different people. You will meet different nationalities & races. But for sure in every shop – a Pinoy/Pinay is present!
UAE people are called Emiratis or also known as “Locals”. While they call us “Expats”. Filipinos though because we are 3rd in population are also known as “kabayan”.
10. Job Sites
Often Pinoys come to Abu Dhabi for one (1) major reason – and that is to get a better job. Although at the moment, our government claimed that Philippine economy has been performing well, it doesn’t stop us to go somewhere with a greener pasture.
Visit visa? Tourist visa? Here are the important job sites to search for job opportunities in Abu Dhabi and the nearby cities.
– a general recruitment & professional social networking. You may also consider, bayt.com.
———– * * * ———-
Helpful websites about Abu Dhabi & UAE:
Photos: From google & its respective main sources.